Wednesday, January 28, 2009

have you ever felt helpless?

have you ever felt helpless?

well I do every time I hear the word cancer...that's why I volunteer for the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life

here's why I got involved...in December 1998 my Aunt passed away from cancer (at the young age of 54) and at her funeral I realized all the things I never told her...I never told her how much I admired her, how I thought she was a wonderful wife and mother, and how much I loved her...I made a promise to myself sitting right there in the church looking at her casket that I would do any and everything possible to help find a cure for that horrible disease so the next April I participated in my first Relay for Life...this April will be my 11th Relay for Life and it all started because of my love for my Aunt

you know, my Aunt may be the reason I started but my list grows every year...more family members, friends, parents of friends...I think the one that hit me the hardest was sweet little Olivia, 3 years old and diagnosed with leukemia...she's 5 now and still battling that horrible disease...she hasn't gotten to do the things little girls are suppose to do because she has spent the better part of the last 2 years in the hospital very very sick...bone marrow transplant, chemotheropy, you name it she's been through it...it makes me sad, no really it makes me mad!

I hope all of you who have been touched by this horrible disease will support your local Relay for Life and those of you who haven't be sure to thank God every night

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lost my cousin to cancer in June '08. I plan on doing the Relay for Life in my area.